-->

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

London 2012!

I'm already getting Olympics fever.  We are counting down the days until the Opening Ceremonies.

I have always loved watching the Olympics.  The first one I can recall is the 1972 Summer Olympics watching US gymnast Cathy Rigby with her little ponytails.  I was a geeky little 8-year-old taking gymastics at the local YMCA and was so sad that my mom cut my hair too short to wear the same little ponytails.  I was convinced that I could be just like her and be in the Olympics some day.  My athletic career took a turn the next year when I started synchronized swimming.  I competed for many years but it wasn't an Olympic sport until my synchro days were over.  The sport has changed SO much since I was in it and it's amazing to me what the swimmers do now.  Their athleticism is masked so beautifully by their technical skills.  The idea that anything is possible if you work hard enough for it still inspires me and as much as I regret the commercialization I like to hear the back stories of the athletes and see them working toward that often-elusive Gold Medal.

I have brainwashed my youngest into being just as enthusiastic as I am.  (My older kids are teenagers and "have better things to do"...LOL).  We're getting our red, white & blue out and I made this to hang over the TV while we cheer on Team USA to victory. 



I masked the letters and sprayed them with red glimmer mist.  Then I inked up my fingers with diluted Faded Jeans Distress Ink and spritzed it over the top (note to self:  next time spritz in a box.  I had blue droplets ALL OVER my desk and everything on it).  That wasn't quite enough so I dabbed on some red Barn Door Distress Ink and a bit more of the Faded Jeans.  After I pulled off the masks I outlined in red to make the letters stand out.

The rosettes were easy to make by just accordion folding strips of paper and gluing in the middle.  A little patterned paper, buttons and ribbon and we've got an embellishment.

I found a picture of the 2012 Gold Medal online and printed a couple out.  A little spray of gold glimmer mist over the top makes them shine.  I'm convinced this will give our athletes that little edge.  Go Team USA!

9 more days...

No comments: