-->

Thursday, June 14, 2012

SAM I am

Yesterday I went on a field trip with my youngest and his class to the Seattle Art Museum.  Our primary focus was the Australian Aboriginal Art exhibition.

For more info on this image go here: http://www.seattleartmuseum.org/ancestralmodern/
Our docent was incredible and I loved that she didn't talk down to the kids but still spoke their language.  Talk about inspiring...the artwork was amazing and the stories behind the work really intriguing as well.  One piece in particular really caught my eye.  It is large - took up a whole wall - with a black background and white dashes of paint all over.  The kids' interpretations of the painting were really inventive and creative.  It was similar in style to this one by Gloria Petyarre but imagine a huge canvas and dashes the size of of your pinkie toe.



As soon as I got home I started googling aboriginal art like a mad woman.  I'm really fascinated by it and hope to get back to SAM before the exhibit closes in September.  I highly recommend it if you're in the Seattle area this summer.

1 comment:

Robin K. said...

Wow -SO inspiring! Must have been a lot of fun to see what the kids created :) Thank you so much for your sweet comment on my last post! Have a great week!